* The Mathathon pledge packets are due to be turned in by this Friday, March 2. Your child can still get pledges after that date, and the packets will be returned after they take the test, to collect all pledges.
* We need volunteers to help with the Mathathon next Thursday morning between 8:00-10:30. If you are available to help our kinder classes and/or organize pledge packets, please contact Patti Wisnom at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As you will surely remember if you were at Sunrise for the Mathathon last year, you helped raise over $15,000 for field trips, artists-in-residence, the Community Garden and dozens of other campus programs! You did this while our students had fun studying math, and then it ended with a pie throwing event – in other words, a good time was had by all! Based on feedback from teachers and from many of you, we have decided to do it again this year. This event will be in February-March, with information coming home with your students, but here is some information in the meantime…
In case you’re not familiar with the concept of a Mathathon, here’s how it works: the students get pledges from family and friends for (a) each correct answer they get on a test they will take in class , or (b) a flat amount.
As part of this wonderful event, there will be some prizes:
· The classroom that collects the most money in pledges will be awarded $100 to spend as decided by the class and teacher.
· The classroom that has the highest percentage of students who each collect at least one pledge will be awarded $50 to spend as decided by the class and teacher (or $100 if 100% of the class collects at least one pledge).
· Finally, if Sunrise collects at least $10,000 in pledges, there will be a great surprise event at school! More information about this will be disclosed during the preparation for the Mathathon.
If you have any questions about the Mathathon, please feel free to contact Patti Wisnom (email@example.com). Most of all, we want the message to be that math can be fun! We appreciate your help in this on all our children’s behalf.